alseal.GIF (11947 bytes)
title2.GIF (12295 bytes)
 
LICENSING FAQs
APPLICATIONS
PIP APPLICATION
ONLINE LICENSE RENEWALS
ONLINE PIP RENEWALS
LAWS & RULES
COMPLAINTS
SUPERVISION
BOARD MEMBERS
SOCIAL WORK LINKS
CONTACT US
NEWSLETTER
LICENSE SEARCH
PIP CERTIFICATION SEARCH
DISCIPLINARY ACTION
APPROVED CE
APPROVED CE PROVIDERS
HOME
CONTINUING EDUCATION INFORMATION
SOCIAL WORK BULLETIN BOARD

Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

     

Q. How do you apply for licensure through Reciprocity?

A. pdfs/INSTRUCTIONS FOR RECIPROCITY FOR LICENSURE.pdf

Q.  How can I get an application for the social work licensing examination?

A.   The applications are on our website under "Applications".  These may be printed off the site completed and mailed in with the application fee (money order or cashier check) or you may request to have an application mailed to you.  You also have the choice of completing the application process on-line.  This is handled through Alabama Interactive for a processing fee of $3.50.  The link to the application is also on our webpage.

Q.   What is required to be considered "License Eligible"?

A.  For the Board to consider you as "license eligible" you must have an application in our office completed and approved.  Being license eligible allows you to practice social work for an agency or organization while you are studying and taking the license examination.

Q.  Can an agency call the Board to verify if someone is license eligible?

A.  Yes, we can verify if someone is license eligible by telephone, fax, email or mail.

Q  How many continuing education hours do I need to renew my license?

A   You need thirty (30) hours for a two year period.  If you also have a PIP License you will need twenty (20) hours in addition to the thirty required. Of the 30 Hours required 20 are allowed to be in self-study/home-study programs of the 20 for the PIP all can be in self-study.

Q  How many hours do I need of Supervision?

A  If you're a LBSW you'll need 24 months at (4) hours per month face to face supervision by a LGSW or LCSW working within the same agency or a PIP certified in the same practice method if coming from outside your agency.  If your a LGSW working towards the qualifications for the LCSW you will need four (4) hours face to face per month for 24 months, the supervision for the LCSW must come from a LCSW within the agency or a PIP certified in the same practice method if coming outside your agency.

Q. I'm a LBSW and will be changing jobs, will I be required to repeat the 24 months of supervision?

A. All LBSW's are required to complete 24 months of supervision.  After completing the 24 months of supervision the LBSW can continue to work without supervision.  Should you change positions but remain in the same type of practice as you have already been supervised under then you would not need to repeat the supervision, however if you are going into a different type of practice or you will be serving a different type of client population you will need to repeat 6 months of supervision.  The contract for supervision is on this website under "Supervision".  You will need to printout the form and submit it to the Board's office for approval.

Q  What kind of degree must I have to become a Social Worker in Alabama?

A. Any person applying for an Alabama Social Work License must have a degree in social work from a school accredited through Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).  You can check which programs are accredited through CSWE by going to their web site at www.cswe.org 

Q  When will my license be ready?

A  The Board of Social Work Examiners receives the grades about two weeks after the candidate.  Once we receive your passing grade we assign you a license number and send you a letter stating what your license number is and place your name on the order list to have the license printed.  We order licenses about once a month. It normally takes eight to ten weeks from the time we are notified of your grades until you receive your license.  

Q.  Do I have a sixty (60) day grace period to renew my license?

A.  Your license expires the last day of your renewal month two years after it is issued, however you have sixty-days from the expiration date to renew it before it is cancelled.  The hours to renew your license must be completed before the license expires, you cannot use the grace period to obtain additional hours to renew your license.  

Q   How long do we have to take the exam.

A   You have one year from the date your application is approved by the Board.  The expiration of your approval will be on your letter sent to you from the Board.  Should you fail the exam and wish to resit you'll have to submit a copy of your score sheet and the money order or cashiers check for $75 to the board's office.  Both the application fee ($75) and the examination fee ($230 - Bachelors/Masters or $260 - Advanced Generalist/Clinical) must be paid each time.  Your exam dates must be at least 90 days apart which can allow you up to four times per year. The re-application process can also be done on-line.  The link is on our webpage.  This is handled through Alabama Interactive.  AI charges a processing fee of $3.50 for the service.

Q.  How often is the exam given?

A   The exam is given five (5) days a week and in some sites six (6) days a week except during December Holidays

Q.  Can I send a personal check or credit card number to renew my license?

A.  No, you must pay with a certified check, money order, or Business check, no personal checks can be accepted and we can't take credit cards for paper renewals, however a credit card can be used for on-line renewals.

Q    I do not live in Alabama but I would like to keep my license current, may I do so?

A    You may continue renewing your license even though you live out of state, however; you are required to submit the continuing education hours required and pay the renewal fee. This applies to all licensees.

Q.    Can I go Inactive?

A.    Yes,  we can now offer you the Inactive status for your social work license.  You are still required to register the license every two years and pay the inactive fee ($25) but you are not required to report any CE hours.  Should a person that elected inactive status wish to return to social work practice they will be required to make up the hours at the rate of 15 hours each year inactive with the maximum to make up being 45 hours.  The make up hours must follow a certain percentage in classroom and may include some on-line or self-study.  The makeup hours must be at least 35% pre-approved classroom hours allowing the other 65% to come from pre-approved on-line or self-study programs

Q.   Can I change my name on my license after it has already been issued?

A.   Yes, you may order a new license.  The cost is $10.00 (cashier check, money order or business check).  We will need a copy of the legal documentation changing your name before we can place the order for your new license.

Q.   I have retired and would like to maintain my social work license. Is there any special provisions for me?

A.   We can now offer you the Inactive status for your social work license.  You are still required to register the license every two years and pay the inactive status but you are not required to report any CE hours.  Should a person that elected inactive status wish to return to social work practice they will be required to make up the hours at the rate of 15 hours each year inactive with the maximum to make up being 45 hours.  The make up hours must follow a certain percentage in classroom and may include some on-line or self-study.  The makeup hours must be at least 35% pre-approved classroom hours allowing the other 65% to come from pre-approved on-line or self-study programs.